Fleeing Penalty?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Theillik

Fleeing Penalty?

Post by Theillik » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:06 pm

I just had a thought about the experience. Characters lose points for fleeing from combat. I do not see why this is so. What if it is roleplaying to flee from combat?

I think that characters should not lose experience for fleeing. I think this only encourages twinking and battle-based gaming.

What does everyone think? Could this be changed?
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:20 pm

What do you mean exactly by "losing points"? Experience points? Favour points? Move points?
Theillik

Post by Theillik » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:26 pm

I was talking about experience points.
Tretch
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Tretch » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:33 pm

Wait... how does NOT losing exp support nontwinking?

Confused is all...explain more clearly please.
A young male human looks at your claw, his eyes widen, "Wha-what is that on your claw?"
You look to the claw, stopping abruptly
You yell, "Git et off! Git et off!" and begin to hop up and down, shaking your hand,
voice turning to a girlish scream!
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Looking into this more, I agree. Sort of. I think what is trying to be said is that the exp loss for fleeing discourages those who would RP-wise flee from combat. And instead, those people should be rewarded for thier RP. However, I think the EXP loss is guided more towards those who test aggro mobs by walking in and going "Oh, I hurt him some" fleeing then rinsing and repeating. So, the question I'd ask is:

How can we reward good RP fleeing, while discouraging bad RP fleeing?

I dont have any answers atm, but if thats not your question, its mine :)

~Elenthis
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Forgoil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Forgoil » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:41 pm

Actually I'd like to agree with the losing exp points when you flee. I mean it helps teach you not to go up against things that you are incapable of defeating and if you were in your characters shoes again. Would you seriously try to fight something that's a lot stronger than you or not? So I think losing exp points is good as even maybe a sort of punishment showing people not to just go in stupidly trying to kill things that can kill you before you defeat it. *shrugs* Just a little thought on my mind.
"This is my shield, I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of it's shadow nor my city out of its shelter."
Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:07 am

also... you should be grouping if you can not defeat something on your own...

"if at first you don't suceed, grab a mob and make them bleed!!!"

ohhh... that's good for making it up off my hip
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 am

Most importantly, the exp lost is minimal, at least so far as I could tell... but fleeing exp loss has always been part of MUDs of this kind.
I've seen other MUDs where characters, especially mages, timestop, cast all their strongest spells in a hurry, and flee to recuperate, and rinse this over and over again. Those MUDs could certainly use a better flee system, in this one I don't think any change either way would make much difference.
Chars: Aryvael et all.