Burrow

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Burrow

Post by Gratey » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:42 am

I noticed on my domain list, It had burrow, I typed Help burrow and it said this.
BURROW
======
Transmutation
Range: Touch
Target: Defensive
Syntax: cast 'burrow' <target>

This spell causes the recipient to take on the burrowing ability of a mole
or similar creature, greatly increasing ones ability to dig or tunnel.
And was thinking, Couldn't this spell help with mining a bit? Giving a small chance greater than the one before, like if you cast it, and you are a apprentice at mining, you go up to a skill level of a apprentice +2 or so? Just thinking about it one this quiet night.
Please, I would love suggestions of comments.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:55 am

From an IC perspective:

There is a difference between digging and mining. Mining is a precision task, digging is simply the process of removing earth, which is why they are not synergy skills for one another. Moles do not mine, they burrow holes and tunnels by a quick, full steam excavation, there would be no time afforded for examination and scrutiny of metals.

OOCly, the spells was designed to afford a temporary, dramatic dig bonus, which benefits anyone who could receive the spell, and ultimately, does not significantly impact the wealth producing capacity of a player. Mining is a trade, for which there is work expected from those with the skill to improve ones wealth potential with the trade. As discussion during the coding of spells (and there was a significant amount of discission on many skill-affecting spells) had concluded, there was no desire to make either the success, or the learning rate (directly affected by successes) easier on the trades.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki