Game Status

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Game Status

Post by Mask » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 pm

Hi there,

I have finalised most details of our new host, and as you have hopefully noticed, both the website and the game have already moved. I have set up a redirect of 'www.forgottenkingdoms.com' to point to 'www.gallwey.com/fk/' which will remain in place for at least the next three months, after which we may use 'www.gallwey.com/fk/' permanently or we may not - it will be figured out in the interim!

The game hosts new IP is 193.1.99.89, and 'game.forgottenkingdoms.com' has been updated to point to this IP, but it will take some time for this to propagate through-out the world.

It needs a bit of work before I can bring the game up on it's new home, but it should be within the next 12-24 hours.

Thanks!

Martin
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:03 pm

Game and Testport down at this time, seems to be no connection to server
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:04 pm

Ah. They shut it down earlier to check out a problem with pfiles not saving. ^^ Not sure if you knew that so I um..posted it! :shock:
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:12 pm

Last news I got was that an admin of the place where the mud is currently hosted was working on the problem. Then Mask logged out to go watch a movie. So I guess he'll give more news when he is back.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:18 pm

The host filesystem suffered from corruption. Of the admins is still working on it. More news tomorrow night.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:13 am

Hmmmm, one month's free hosting as compensation?
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Well, unfortunately, it was my fault :( I was trying to find the cause of the errors that Dalvyn was describing, and in doing so, somehow managed to completely destroy the file system that the game was running on. So, I got one of the admins to see if he could help me undo my mistake(s), and he was very helpful, but couldnt' sort it out :/. So I worked into the wee hours last night re-installing the whole system from scratch, took a few hours to go skiing today (awesome!) and am now hoping to get it up and running again. I will be using the most recent backup, so some data will have been lost. I'm very sorry about that, and I hope that I have now set it up in such a way that problems like this won't occur again.

Marty
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 pm

When is the last backup from?

Does it include the storerooms? (mostly thinking about those who completed the Waukeen roleplay and had several things in store there)

Does it include the test port? (I obviously ask out of interest, since I had 2 new areas there for the Ardeep roleplay that I could not mail out).
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 pm

It's from December 15th, I'm afraid.
Scylere
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Scylere » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:15 pm

Thanks for all your work Mask. Most of us are just looking forward to playing again!
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Waukeen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:13 pm

All right, please PM me with the renames from the ball you lost. I'm going to be away for about 5 days, but I'll redo them when I come back. I'm not keen on redoing the costumes but if you have logs and can give me the exact items and their colour codes, I'll redo them for you. I don't mind; I was proud of those costumes! Just as long as you can give me as much detail as possible, please. Thanks.

UPDATE: Regarding the costumes, I'm going to make an area with as many of the costumes in as I can manage. I will probably make separate keepers for wings, gowns, masks, etc. I'm not sure how long that will take, but if you can please be patient in that then we will have fun costumes for all occasions. :)
The Mercantile Trade is the best road to enrichment.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:28 pm

I have reloaded all the publications and tokens and distributed them again.

I do not remember who needed a marble performance token to join a bard guild though. If you need one, simply use "ask". For imms: you can check whether the character already has a publication by using "ofind (charactername)". The marble performance token is object vnum 7968.
Enaria
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Enaria » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:51 am

What about the renames we got as gifts for other people the day after the Winterfest?
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:03 am

Waunkeen meant those to! She got mine and a friends earlier
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:08 am

I know everybody lost items, completed quests, coins, and so on in the roll back but please try and refrain from flooding my PM box up to the brim. :)

If you have something very specific in mind that you have lost and cannot recover yourself, you can try to mail applications@forgottenkingdoms.com, but there is no guarantee that we will get to it. I lost two or three 8-10 hour days of area building so believe me, if something/anything could be done to go back, I would do all I can to have it done. We will all have to get over the loss and continue. And other imms similarly lost many hours worth of renaming costumes and gifts for the Winterfest.

The imms will do all they can to alleviate the loss, but there is only so much that they can do.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:18 am

There is a new imm among the FK pantheon, Chronos. Sometimes he is benign, other times not. We have fought him terribly, Mask actually almost got him with a backstab but Chronos went back in time AT THE LAST SECOND and exchanged the sneaky one's sword with a feather. It seems he did the same for the realms and many things were lost to mortals. We good-hearted imms, and a few evil ones for whatever reason is known only to them, are doing are best to combat these issues of time. There will, however, be some lingering anomolies with which we will all have to cope.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:05 pm

Dalvyn wrote:If you have something very specific in mind that you have lost and cannot recover yourself, ...
I must insist on the bold part. We cannot reset every quest you have completed and skill that you have trained, or object that you have bought, or levels that you have lost. Doing it for everybody would mean that all the imms would have to spend the New Year's eve on FK doing that. Those things, you can re-do yourself (with time).
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Waukeen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:49 am

Game appears to be down at the moment.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:42 pm

It is back up now.
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Waukeen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:36 am

Game crashed. Not sure what caused the crash.