Upcoming RP days

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Noreak
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Upcoming RP days

Post by Noreak » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:58 pm

I was wondering if it could be possible creating a sticky post in the events forum called "Upcoming RP days", so players can post there the dates that have planned an event, and so those who want to plan another event have an easier time whem choosing a suitable day for the roleplay.

The format would be something like:

12/04 - Gnome meeting - (and the time/date link)

For additional information about that event people should read the discussion about that event

Thanks!
"It is entirely seemly for a young man killed in battle to lie mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things appear fair." - Homer
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Upcoming RP days

Post by Glim » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 pm

I think this is a great idea, in theory. But unless we had one person who would edit the first post constantly, wading through a hundred different replies would get about as tedious as wading through a hundred different event posts to make sure nothing conflicted, etc.

An easier solution, I think, would be if we could bring back the old calendar that we had, where players could add events that everyone could see and it would link them back to the event post in question.

Theres quite a few calendar mods out there that im sure Marty would be happy to add to the forums ( or at least I hope he would ).
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Noreak
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Noreak » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Yup, but I think that still checking a single discussion is less trouble than checking several ones, specially if is used the format I mentioned.
"It is entirely seemly for a young man killed in battle to lie mangled by the bronze spear. In his death all things appear fair." - Homer
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:45 am

Calendar sounds like a great idea.
"We could kill /everyone/."
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:00 am

Calender plugins for php forums are pretty readily available for free download as well..
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:07 am

I've been debating how much use this would be across timezones, but perhaps it is better than nothing, in the interim:
http://www.airset.com/Public/Calendars. ... CbwTYYMmmL
I keep it updated anyway...though I will now make a point of adding events even if none of my PCs would dream of attending them. We could make a publicly editable calendar, or even a group, if enough people find this helpful.

I don't believe the system offers you a way to set your timezone when viewing a public calendar, unless you sign up. But maybe it reads your timezone off of your computer's clock? I'd be keen to know if someone not on Airset, and in a different timezone than my own (US Central Time), sees the events at the correct time.

(By the way - if you have a Palm and want to sync with an online calendar...Airset is the way to do it!)
Peverell
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Peverell » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:02 pm

I'm GMT and I have no idea what Airset is, and the times are all "wrong" for me on the calendar. Though I'm liking the ability to see "at a glance" when things are happening on certain days. It's a bit of a headache for me to mentally reconfigure Sunday as the first day of the week, though! X_X
At Home With the Goldfarbs:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28hin4n.jpg
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Peverell wrote:I'm GMT and I have no idea what Airset is, and the times are all "wrong" for me on the calendar.
Alas, I guess that's a "no," then. Perhaps someone familiar with phpBB can suggest a good calendar plug-in they have some experience with, something that works well across timezones?
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Aren't we just duplicating the events forum? As for a calendar, why not just have a hard copy calendar and write down the dates that interest you? Or a software calendar program of your own if needed.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:50 pm

I believe the logic is that if Player Q wants to set up a new event, it would be nice if they avoided scheduling on top of existing events. At the moment, in order for them to ensure they do not do so, they have to look through all of the current events postings. That's the genesis property of this suggestion, I believe. This wouldn't be so hard if the time and date were always in the first posting, but often this information is buried or changed further on, in replies to the original post.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:14 am

Makes sense
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:52 am

Even more than that... I think that if people were to -see- the empty days... we might have more scheduled events. That's just a thought though.
"We could kill /everyone/."
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm

I quite like that calendar, Raona. Thank you for your efforts. It makes events much easier to see as far as a time frame goes.

Though ideally I think we should try and aim for a public forum calendar on here that everyone can edit and that will link back to the event post.
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat May 10, 2008 6:55 am

On a completely different note... /\ that was my 1000th post. 8)
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 am

Is anyone still using the Airset calendar I set up at
http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtop ... ead#unread
???

I'm very busy of late (baby!) and so will only continue to keep it up if others are making use of it. If you are, please let me know!
Peverell
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Peverell » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:33 am

I had no idea it was being updated, I thought it was just a one-off test! Had I known, I would have used it, because even if I'm in a different timezone it's useful to see what *day* things are happening on. Anyway, I'm sure everyone understands how busy you are right now - is there someone else you could pass the updating torch onto? And then maybe make a sticky post in the Events forum with the link http://www.airset.com/Public/Calendars. ... CbwTYYMmmL so everyone can find it easily.
At Home With the Goldfarbs:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28hin4n.jpg
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Anybody willing to join AirSet can update and modify the calendar (as well as have it send you reminders as events approach). I'd be glad to have others help with updating it, if others find it useful. It's main intended purpose is to help people avoid scheduling RP events on top of one another.

If you would be interested in helping maintain the calendar, or want reminders from it, PM me an email address and I'll have it send you an invitation.

p.s. If more people are on Google and prefer it, we can use a public Google calendar, instead. One or the other (or perhaps a third option) may work best across time zones and datelines.