Skill: Shieldwork

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Ilnthis
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Skill: Shieldwork

Post by Ilnthis » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:46 am

I have a question. Has shieldwork been removed as a skill for clerics? I saw it on the skill list, but then after my cleric trained it a few times, I have noticed now that it is not there, nor on the practice list.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Skill: Shieldwork

Post by Selveem » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm not certain if Shieldwork skill will be around much longer as this is a skill to enable shield blocking. With the introduction of the new AC system, it may be more geared to work like D&D.

The only issue I see is that now everyone can use shields and still receive an AC bonus. While this is the case in regular D&D, there is also an AC penalty for using armor you are not proficient with generally making such AC bonus worthless..

Personally, I would like shieldwork skill to remain in because it's satisfying to see that I blocked an attack JUST because I was using a shield when I would not have otherwise. :)
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Ilnthis
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ilnthis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:50 am

Oh, is that how it is going to work, a bonus to AC in the area that is shielded; EG arm or entire torso?. I have to agree with Selveem on one point, though. I like the echo gotten from making a sucessful block that would have ordinarily gotten through and caused damage.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:36 am

Ilnthis wrote:Oh, is that how it is going to work, a bonus to AC in the area that is shielded; EG arm or entire torso
From what I've seen, no. Not a specific area. I believe it increases your AC overall.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Kohadon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Kohadon » Sun May 04, 2008 6:54 am

Question. Dunno if I've asked already, but if shieldworking just adds AC and no longer procs as a block, does it still grow in skill level from fighting? Just wondering, as I've not seen mine grow in a good while now
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Mon May 05, 2008 12:08 pm

I doubt you will see any further increases as the code has quite obviously changed. Before, you got those increases as they were applied to a "parry" type response:

someone struck at you
your skill was invoked in shieldwork
if your skill passed, you blocked with your shield

Since that second part seems to be retired, I don't believe the counter would have a way to increase. I don't see any reason why you'd want it to anyhow. It gives no benefit for raising it.