General Questions

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Re: General Questions

Post by Lirith » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:36 am

Failing at GM fifth attack for fighters isn’t unheard of, and even sometimes fourth can miss albeit much much more rarely. With your other PCs you likely just didn’t notice or happened to be fighting things that you are more likely to hit.

There are various variables in this. What are you fighting? What are their stats in comparison to your PC stats and in comparison to the other requirements for attacks to hit? What combatmode are you using?

Some of these can’t be answered obviously, but my point is that there’s so much to take into consideration I wouldn’t expect anyone will be able to give any sort of complete answer. Suffice to say, higher attacks can and do fail for everyone and at a guess it’s more common to see with high level mobs (this really is a guess since I can’t say I’ve paid enough attention).
Elisabeth
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Elisabeth » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:48 pm

To clarify, by fail I meant not that the fourth attack misses, producing an echo like "Evilguy ducks under your slash", but that it doesn't fire in the first place. Missing is one thing and very well expected especially given combatmode, defendor's AC, and the other things you mentioned, but being able to attempt only three attacks in a round is another.

Apologies ahead of time if we were both talking about the same thing and I merely misread your meaning. I do that a lot.
...But if thou hast done evil, fear her. For she beareth not her sword in vain. For she is the Lord's instrument: a wrathful avenger unto the wicked.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:30 pm

The skill not triggering altogether is something I've never encountered at GM.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 am

We are talking about the same thing. I did a little test just now. I had two rounds (out of a a lot, too many to count but probably thirty five-ish?) with only four attacks firing, so it does happen and is not something specific to your PC. I was mistaken in that the attack not firing isn't quite as common as I thought initially but I wouldn't call it especially rare either.

I don't know if the reasons for this are the same or different to the reasons for missing an attack since that comes under hard code, but I would imagine that there are probably some similarities there. I can't say why Elisabeth in particular might have this happen more often than expected, but I think my original post still stands there.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I can recall a fight with Harroghty in which Cahir had a surprisingly low amount of 5th attacks for GM, and investigated it afterwards. This led me to believe there may be a correlation between missing 4th and 5th failing to fire, but I never could find enemies that Cahir missed often + survived long enough against to test thoroughly.
Jamais arriere.
Triadan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Triadan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm trying to get my old band back together, having trouble tracking down some old faces.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to contact the players of Ciara or Sia?
I know it might be an impossible task, but can't hurt to ask right?