Area economy

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Area economy

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:36 am

A few months ago, I went through all the areas and increased their economy (i.e., increased how much money merchants have to buy things off PCs). Do you still find it hard to find shops with enough money to buy the loot from your adventures?
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:49 am

I run into it from time to time, but not so much now that I've moved away from something very valuable in my hunts.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:55 am

I haven't found it to be a problem recently.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:19 am

I was never very big on selling loot, so I might not have the best opinion. But as it stands, no, I haven't run into nearly as many problems as there used to be.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:34 am

I think the real problem with economy is player made items. A katana sells for.. what? 22 platinum. Now, a dwarf set on acumulating several thousand platinum for a home or what not. Will spam skill his construct weapon to make enough katana's to walk arround. sell to every merchant without a katana for sell, thus obtaining maximum $$ for his sell. This depletes the economy fast.

To keep an adventurers economy, opposed to a PC driven economy would be to institute a secondary econmy for PC made objects.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:53 am

The only problem with that, Cret, is that there will always be people who will abuse the system. Be it looting 100 pink helms and selling them or crafting 100 katanas and selling them it still ends up with the same end result.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:55 am

PC made items share vnums. Case in point if I were to construct two bracelets of different metals, they will still have the same vnum and shopkeepers base selling amount on vnums held.

As to your example, even though it was just that, revisions were made to owning pc dwellings, so it may not cost thousands any more.

As far as area economies go I think there are good where they are at, I think the mobs in golden oaks get alittle too much on resets. A wererat should give off maybe 1 electrum instead of 1 gold and 2 silver. After all there is a fair amount of them in the forest there.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:44 pm

City economies now seem reasonable, though I have still found the merchants in a few cities (Tantras, in particular) broke from time to time. I don't think it unrealistic, though.
Alvirin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alvirin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:26 pm

Lately I didn't have any problem to sell loot.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:14 pm

Haven't had a problem with the areas my loot sellers travel. Quite pleased with the change personally.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Adabelle
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Adabelle » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:28 pm

I do not have trouble selling things either. But I do find it odd that the spell back values for magic items is SO low compared to say a potion. When I value a potion with the appraise skill it is in varying handfuls of platinum. A bracelet with several charges of the same or a similar spell is worth maybe a platinum or two. Shouldn't you be able to get a lot of magic items?

They are relatively rare.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:32 pm

I don't think they are specifically set. I believe they go by the base cost of the actual material and base item.

I've seen plenty of highly enchanted weapons, armors, etc.. that sell for a couple gold.

As I understand it, merchants don't recognize the magical aura each item may have or the extent of the charges on them.. things like that.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:38 pm

Aye, NPC values are based on materials of said item (made of mithril, platinum, ect), usually ignore magical properties unless they are special items such as spellbooks, potions, or scrolls.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:09 pm

Main cities seem fine. Smaller cities like Tantras, Daggerford, and sometimes (not as often as the other two) Berdusk are out.
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Actually, very basic magical properties are also taken into account by the code (e.g., adding +1 to Strength, or adding a 3rd level spell slot), but as soon as the "magic" is done in a more complex program (e.g., objects with charges, objects with special effects, ...), the code can't determine the price. It should be up to the builder to modify the price adequately but ... it was nearly never done (the idea is that such magic items would rather be bartered between PC or kept, but not sold).
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:38 am

Recently the economy has been really good. Even when I see high priced loot sold about they could still afford the cheap things or some of the slightly expensive things. :lol:
I am but a tree te da lee lee