Forum Upgrade

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by Caelnai » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:17 am

Dalvyn wrote:
Mask wrote:The icon should be red if there are unread posts in it.
Ah ... right, it is. I'm partially colour-blind, which I guess is why it's kind of hard for me to spot.
Haha...this had me stumped too until I had a friend look at the page for me. I'm also color-blind and can not distinguish the two colours at all. There are optional colour schemes available for this forum which can be uploaded to allow users to select from...if someone had some free time to tinker with something that probably doesn't effect many users. :oops: 8)
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:37 am

alright, just a warning. I'm a computer idiot. The extent of my skills is turning the computer on, and clicking zmud twice to get it going. Anything else requires technical aid. There could be a very simple fix to this that I'm not seeing. So..the top part of this page where it has 'board index' and below that 'User Control panel (messages) blah blah' those letters are too big and I can only see the top half of the writing. The bottom halves of all the letters are cut off. I tried the little thing to the side to make the letters smaller, but I have it on the lowest size setting. Not a major problem..but annoying. Anyone know how to fix it? I asked someone else about it already and they said to say I'm using Firefox.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:16 am

This is definitely going to take getting used to.... but at least Andreas pic of Belose is still showing up!!! So I'm happy!

Well.. I was untill I saw my post and noted the post number... I had more than what it said I did... someone deleted some of my posts.... :evil: I had at LEAST 234 before this makeover.. now it's just going to tak me even longer to get to Sword Grand Master! :cry:
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 am

Aveline wrote:alright, just a warning. I'm a computer idiot. The extent of my skills is turning the computer on, and clicking zmud twice to get it going. Anything else requires technical aid. There could be a very simple fix to this that I'm not seeing. So..the top part of this page where it has 'board index' and below that 'User Control panel (messages) blah blah' those letters are too big and I can only see the top half of the writing. The bottom halves of all the letters are cut off. I tried the little thing to the side to make the letters smaller, but I have it on the lowest size setting. Not a major problem..but annoying. Anyone know how to fix it? I asked someone else about it already and they said to say I'm using Firefox.
Try clicking on the third menu (should be named something like Display/View, right after "File" and "Edit" on the menu bar), then on the "Text Size" item, then the "Normal" option.

Alternatively, you might want to try to press Ctrl and 0 (either on the numeric pad or from the normal keyboard) at the same time.

Does it help?
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:16 pm

That made the text a bit larger and cut more off. I tried using that to make the text smaller, and eventually I got it small enough so that all the text showed but by the point all of it was showing the text was so small it was nothing more than little dots on the screen and you couldn't read it. I suppose I am just going to have to live with the top half of the text. That is better than dots. Thank you though!
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:47 pm

I have had the same problem, but only in the user control panel, and apparently when I go to post a reply. The subject line has been cut in half. In the User Control Panel parts of the page are all cut like this... I am using Safari, but strangely when I use Firefox it fixes its self.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 am

Not to find the dark lining in the silver cloud, but is the in-game 'forum' command still working correctly? One player changed email addresses and reported getting "Unable to retrieve forum data: Unknown column 'user_active' in 'field list'." Is it possible that the user database changed structures with the update, and the code needs a tweak to deal with the new column?

Has anyone else seen this error message, or been asked about it?

p.s. I think the wolfish grin smilie image is missing, or is in the wrong place, or has the wrong name. (It's looking for http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/images/ ... smilie.gif)
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:00 pm

It might still need to be updated to the new db.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:12 pm

I seem to be having a problem with smooshy forums. I think the same problem as the above poster. I can still manage but decided to post a picture to give everyone an idea.

Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Yes! That is exactly what is happening with me too. I'm still alright to live with the smooshed rather than the dots though.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:26 am

That looks like, alas, a browser-specific problem. A height command of some sort being sent by the forum but not understood by (some) browsers. Could those having this problem please specify what browser(s) they have used where they have seen it. Kirkus mentioned Apple's Safari. Others?
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:13 am

Firefox 2.0.0.13
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Glim wrote:Firefox 2.0.0.13
Er...whoa. That's odd. Mac, PC, or Unix? Also, if you know how to get it, what's your screen resolution set to?
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:32 pm

PC with Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit

aaaaand

1440 x 900
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Since its across the browsers, happens to me too in Safari and Firefox it might be that in the phpBB code when the text is made larger the header size is not proportionally increased as well. Shouldn't be too hard to tinker with the source code.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Yeah my problem with Safari is only happening on the user control panel and I think on screens where you post a reply. Just reading posts in Safari was working fine...
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:48 am

Yep, that would be the PHPBB team's obvious oversight in the latest version that there are web browsers that exist which *aren't* Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The only way I could get the forms to display right on my Mac at ALL was to download Camino from mozilla.org.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:17 am

Just another case of open source having to cater to the man.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:37 am

Btw, apparently this only happens in windowed mode, and is fine when I have my browser full screen (which I very rarely do (multitasking)). It the smaller the window is made, the more the text is hidden.
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:18 am

Glim wrote:Btw, apparently this only happens in windowed mode, and is fine when I have my browser full screen (which I very rarely do (multitasking)). It the smaller the window is made, the more the text is hidden.
Aha! Indeed, now I can reproduce the effect on Firefox as well. I just usually have a nearly full-screen window, so never observed it.

In the short term, a possible fix is changing browsers if you keep the forum in a smallish window, I suppose. It's not clear whether this is a browser or a forum template code failing.